Sunday, May 6, 2007

Origins of a trip

So, I wanted to see more of this country. In college, I studied abroad twice--in India for five months, in London for three. However, outside of that, I've barely been outside the Midwest, save brief trips.
An extended road trip was definitely in order. However, I don't have a car, nor do I particularly want one. I'm all about cycling and public transit. Since I'm also all about independence, and doing things at my own speed, a bike trip it was.
When I mentioned this idea to friends, family, and coworkers, reactions ranged from, "That's awesome. I wish I could do something like that," to, "But you're a girl. Don't you think it's unsafe to travel alone?"
It saddens me that because of my sex, I am less safe than a male might be, traveling alone. It frustrates me that our country in particular has bought into a culture of fear so thoroughly, perpetuated by the government, the media, and our selves. I recognize that bad things happen to good people, but I refuse to live my life based on the fear that bad things are going to happen to me.
Instead, I'll open my heart to the adventures that await, the good people that exist, and the beauty that is always there, if you look.


I have one week left at my job. After that, I'll be biking around Wisconsin a bit... and around June 1st, I'll be leaving Chicago. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

rockandrollcannibal said...

ooh! I can post as myself! I didn't realize I had ever signed in at blogspot.

Anyway. Awesome biking idea time! Yay for you! I am hoping to do some various trip around state and eventually out of state. There are all sorts of great bike touring trails around this great expanse of Wisconsiness and the WI-DOT will sell you handy maps of all of them plus handily marking out the other roads as to how bicycle friendly they are.

Anyway, boo to the naysayers, but I do have to say that the advice I've found about touring does recommend having a buddy, for any and all gendered folks, just because it's good to have another person around in case of any type of emergency out in the places away from stuff, or indeed the places where there is stuff. But with the preparation done, certainly solo rides are totally doable too, so yay! again, and I hope to see you because I believe I hear you're going to wind up in Appleton for a bit.

ZXC said...

(responding to Keith's comment)
no, tis true (that having a buddy or a group would be good for multiple reasons)... and I am hoping to hook up with a group of cyclists (I've connected with one online), assuming their timing at all coincides with mine. And yes! I hope to see you in Appleton, and if you want to bike around that area with me at all, that'd be cool. :-)

rockandrollcannibal said...

Ok. Now I've actually got a blogspot account for real instead of it just knowing my name (which is creepy) -
Anyway, yeah. I'd love to ride around the area with you (one must hope I'll be in the area at the time you're going to be. So far I think I'll be visiting dana at the beginning of June, off to Quaker camp at the beginning of July, and elsewhere at other unknown times. There are some pretty good trails around and my friend Sarah knows a place to meet up where the trail goes right to a bar so we could bike out there and have a cocktail.