Monday, July 9, 2007

For whatever reason, this computer doesn't want to let me type in a title for this post, but it would be: Hills and Heat.

They both sort of showed up at once. It's ninety here, now, in Pittsburgh, and is going to be tomorrow as well. I got here last night, after a long day in the saddle. At one point I took a 45-minute nap in the shade of a tree on some country club property.
If this post is lacking my customary exuberance/oozing good feeling, it's not because I've lost good feelings... it's more like they've gotten lethargic in the heat.
Today is a definite rest day. I'm staying with Kelly and Bill of couchsurfing, yet more awesome people. They also have some adorable animals. After they left their house today, I was lying around looking at the local paper for shtuff to do, and Lois, their cat, came and curled up with me, and we ended up taking a two-hour nap. She's so sweet, and she makes me miss Fred and Clovis even more than I already do.
As far as hills go... they are great great fun to zoom down. Not so much fun to climb up. I feel like I've been running x-country, and all of a sudden someone said, "Okay, you're still going to go long-distance, but now we want you to sprint!" My legs are definitely getting more of a workout than they had been.
So... like I said, today is a rest day. I don't know if I'll be able to summon enough energy to go tomorrow, as the weather is supposed to be the same as today. However, then the heat is supposed to break a bit on Wednesday. We shall see.
Send cool thoughts my way! And as always, thanks for your comments and encouragement.

3 comments:

BOB13 said...

The beauty of Couchsurfing.com lives on! Glad to hear it's working out for you. A couple questions: Did you happen to bring a digital camera? (We'd love to see some pics.) Also, it'd be cool for your viewing audience to see a log of your daily doings. (For example: TUESDAY--Woke up in Cleveland. Rode to Pittsburgh. 75 miles.) Just a thought. I'm sure you've got plenty to keep you occupied. I just found an old journal from my 100 days of barhopping across America trip 10 years ago, which is why I'm intrigued by reading your trip log. Stay strong and trusting!

Anonymous said...

I don't have to do much work for this one. The "severe" thunderstorms currently rocking Chicago are headed to greet and cool you in the next 24-36 hours I'm sure. <3
P.S. I agree with Bob13's log suggestion, I like it!

Zesty said...

Zem -
Bruce had participated in the "Hilly Hundred" for several years before I started riding it with him. Novice rider that I was, I was scared to death of the hills in southern Indiana around Bloomington. The hills were tough ... but all I heard from everyone was the horror stories of the UPHILLS!! No one told me about the exuberance of the DOWN HILLS!!! You must go up a hill to come down a hill... and that is the reward! Keep Spinnin' Zem....
Take a break - you'll enjoy the pedaling more when you are rested!
Mindy