Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Goddess keeps me well

What a day.
Last night, a million years ago, Debbie and Betsy gave me a little wooden goddess to keep me safe on my journey, and in the light of day, I discovered that she's purple!! I don't know what her name is yet. If you have any ideas, toss 'em my way.
After not enough sleep, I got up very early, in an effort to get on my way. Despite my best efforts, I didn't leave my house until nearly one. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make the 1:30 train out of the city, but the 2:30--no problem. That is, until I got a flat tire. Luckily, said flat tire was discovered/happened while I was at a bike shop. So, I had them fix it, as time was of the essence. Despite the efforts of everyone involved--they fixed it quickly, and I rode downtown quickly--I missed the 2:30 train by about 3 minutes. As that was supposed to be the last train that would allow me to take my bicycle on it for the day, and also for the duration of Taste of Chicago (until July 9th), I was a bit frazzled.
Luckily, the conductor said not a word, and I was bound for University Park. I slept.
Once in University Park, it took me a while to get my bearings and get headed in the right direction on a through-road... But once I did, the wind was at my back; the air was brisk; it was lovely riding. However, due to my very very late start, I realized I was not going to make my intended destination. When I happened upon a woman trimming shrubbery along the road, I took the opportunity to ask where I might camp in the next town. She recommended a park, and gave me directions.
When I got to the park, there was live music, and a decent crowd.
Pause for rumination. One awesome thing about traveling alone is that it forces one to overcome shyness. If you want company, it's going to be strangers, and you're going to have to put yourself out there.
I started talking to some people, and watching the band with them... One woman went and got me a blanket, because someone had convinced me that I wouldn't need a sleeping bag (not to worry, I should be reunited with my sleeping bag on Saturday, if all goes according to plan... more on that later). But then some other people offered me a couch, and I gladly accepted. It's cold out. Yay spontaneous couchsurfing! Yay kindnesses of strangers! Yay good friends and goddesses!

The trip got off to a rocky start, but tonight I saw a gorgeous sunset, and will sleep on a stranger's couch. Much love to you all...

3 comments:

Elliot said...

Interesting story. I find it true what you say about travelling and overcoming shyness. I find it comforting that most people who you meet are more than welcome to speak to a traveller even if its from down the road to across the globe.

qingdaokelly said...

http://groups.msn.com/TRUEBUDDHISM/omhrihtarehum.msnw
(stumbled on yoir blog googling bike stuff. i'm glad you got to take your trip)

Terry said...

Smooth sailing, explorer!
May the force be with you.

Also... if you make it to Massachusetts just past the NY border at the end of July, we'll take you to the folk festival.